Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Pursuit of Happyness

Yes, it's spelled incorrectly. Yes, I should be doing homework or studying for a test. One thing I have learned is that this blog pretty much "writes itself" -- and if I just let it happen naturally, then it usually pays off. And since someday I am going to write a book, I am guessing this is good practice. So homework will have to wait until this inspiration passes, otherwise my mind will be writing a blog instead of studying medical terminology.

It's spelled incorrectly because it has to do with the movie starring Will Smith and his son, Jaden. We watched it the one evening this week we weren't working on the new building. Can I just start by saying it was a really great movie? (I guess so, since I just did.) There is a fantastic scene in the movie where "Chris Gardner and his son" are playing basketball on a rooftop court. His son mentions wanting to be a basketball star and "Chris" basically in a nutshell says, "it doesn't pay, find a trade you can depend on to support you". Obviously, I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. And we see a very disappointed little boy. The very next statement to his son is "don't ever let anyone tell you you can't do something -- not even me." Now that'll preach...

So this got me to thinking. In the past 9 months, we've had a lot of people say they were praying for us -- or they were supportive of this new ministry we've fought hard to keep alive. We've had folks get on board and get excited. We've had folks step back for one reason or another. We've had folks tell us "that will never work". And yet, here we are. We ARE a new church start in the ARUMC. We DO have a building with great potential to do ministry. We DO have the support of friends and comrades who are as excited (if not more, at times) than we are about the possibilities that lie before us. And we also have those little voices out there who might not be willing to say to our face "that will never work". Dream stealers are lurking everywhere.

Now, I want to add a disclaimer -- I don't think people are intentionally out to "steal the dreams of others". I think they have our very best intentions at heart. But I also think that at some point in their life, someone told then "you can't do that" or "that won't work". And likely, that someone was a very important person in their life. Perhaps a parent, sibling, close friend or even spouse. They weren't out to steal the dream, they just didn't want their loved one to have to deal with a possible failure. Notice I said a "possible" failure. 50/50. It might work, it might not -- but the destination isn't the most important thing. The journey to get to the destination is where the fun lies.

So then, I started thinking about baseball. Because my team is 4 games from clinching the NL Central. And because, I happen to have had the opportunity to watch a number of games up close and personal in the past several years. All the STL fans in my life younger than 8 adore Albert Pujols. (And some older than 8, as well.) And I started thinking about the way he hits the ball. He can send it sailing with the right amount of determination and drive -- and the perfect connection between bat and ball. Or he can go back to the dugout having just struck out. I'm just guessing, but I bet there are a lot of strikes to go with all his homeruns. If you know anything about his life story, he didn't necessarily have an easy life. His dad was an alcoholic and there were many times in his life, when a much younger Albert (like 12 years young) would have to carry his dad home after a night of binge drinking. Talk about a workout. But he loved baseball, and he was good at it. Today, he isn't the fastest player on the field, but what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in sheer determination and hard work. The man is work horse!

So with this movie and baseball running through my head, I landed on 1 Corinthians 13 -- the love passage. Hmmmm??? What if love really is patient and kind? Does that mean that people who aren't patient and kind are incapable of love? Churning in the back of my mind are all these images of hard work and determination and will -- to dream, to achieve, to succeed. And standing right next to all those possibilities is the opportunity to have those dreams squashed. Or even worse, to never take the chance for fear of failure. So I came to a realization. All of the characteristics of love in that passage -- patience, kindness, does not boast... those are the dreams. And all the things that loves isn't or shouldn't be -- those are the dream stealers. And in order for the dream to live on and be recognized -- means taking a chance that maybe just maybe there IS something better out there. It involves not letting the voices of the dream stealers get into your head and take over your thoughts. It involves taking a stance and saying, "I believe in this -- now, are you with me?" And it's okay, if they aren't.

In my life, I've made many mistakes. But each mistake was an opportunity to learn more about me. And each success was sweeter because I did something I set out to do. This new faith community is no different. We will get tired of working late nights and weekends -- sometimes with just a few hands, and sometimes with a lot of hands. We will see folks step up their support and we will see folks step back to regroup. It's part of the process -- but we will not listen to those who say we won't succeed. We've already overcome so much. Each success sweeter than the last. And really, if our focus is where it should be -- the strength to carry on to the next task will be there. We might be physically tired, but imagine the payoff in the end when we open the doors to our community and the hard work, and sweat, and sheer determination made it all possible.

So the question I pose is this, "I believe in this -- are you with me?" It's really okay if you aren't -- I've made it this far, and I have faith that I will reach my destination. But the journey -- that's where my heart sings. sheri

No comments: