Friday, January 24, 2014

01/24/14

Seven years ago, I kissed my best friend on the forehead as I was heading to bed. Before going to the guest room, I leaned close and whispered in her ear, "I love you, momma, now rest."  She took my advice a few hours later and my life has never been the same.  

Not a single day goes by when I don't think of her.  Although some days, it's at the very end of a busy day when she creeps into my mind.  Yesterday I was writing a note at work and instead of writing yesterday's date, I wrote her birthday. dd/mm/yy. It made me smile and shake my head all at the same time. I think she knew I needed her.  I need her a lot lately. 

She had a smile that could light up any room. She was quiet and reserved, but had an infectious laugh. She could scold you without raising her voice.  She loved with the biggest heart imaginable. (I think I inherited that from her.)  I've never really thought I looked much like her, until recently when I caught a glimpse of her in my bathroom mirror. 

I wish she could see Caity and Kenzie as adults. I wish she could meet Sophia. I wish I could introduce her to some of my friends. I wish I could get a cherry limeade with her at Sonic.  I wish I could hear her sing along to the radio. I guess I will just strive to live in a way that continues her legacy of love. You were a good one, momma. One of the best. I love you. 

~s

No comments: