Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Be Still...2014 version

Eight days into the new year, and I still haven't made a resolution. I don't plan to make a resolution. I rarely stick to them anyway. Besides, it's exhausting to feel like I've failed before I've even started. That doesn't mean I didn't set goals. I am constantly setting goals for myself, in order to push myself to be the very best version of me. One of my goals was to read more books -- any kind of book.

I can read for knowledge or read for pleasure. It doesn't matter if the reason I read is to escape from reality for a bit, or to learn a little bit more about me. So last night, I picked up a book. I thought, "I'll give it one chapter. If it doesn't grab me, I will pick up a different book." It grabbed me. It isn't a book I would normally read. It's much more "christian" than I normally read. Don't get me wrong, I've taken part in several small group studies. I own 10 different Bibles, including my well-worn and tattered study Bible.

One of my goals for this year involves being still. That is not to be confused with wearing pajamas all day and laying around watching tv. Being still, at least for me, involves actively listening to my thoughts. It's very difficult to do, if you've never tried it. Sometimes I don't like where my mind takes me. Sometimes, I don't like what my thoughts say to and about me. I was fortunate because my book selection has a study component in the back. So as I was reading, I would peruse the notes in the back, just to see what kinds of questions or comments the author felt were necessary to explore deeper.

There, in the back of the book, in print -- a resource for being still. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to do just that. It likely will take several attempts, because the first two questions might take a while for me to get past. (Ironically, the author anticipated as much.) If you have the same goal, or need the same goal, you're welcome to join me.


Exercise:

Write your answers to the following questions:

1.) What is frustrating me right now?

2.) What am I angry about?

No, don't go to the next question, go back. Listen. Reflect. Be honest. Give yourself time.

3.) What am I scared of?

4.) What am I dreading?

5.) What makes me anxious?

6.) What concerns me?

7.) What is stressing me right now, the smallest thing that I don't want to write down because it seems dumb that it is actually stressing me?

8.) What am I looking forward to?

9.) Today, tomorrow, this year?



It's a solo exercise, but there is an added component of community if you're interested in that sort of thing. You can email me at sheri underscore bentley 1027 at yahoo dot com for that piece of the puzzle. May 2014 be your best year ever.

No comments: