Thursday, January 30, 2014

It's kind of a funny story

I had a call from a doctor yesterday. He was giving me the results of a recent scan because my PCP is on Maternity leave and everyone in the clinic is picking up her slack and communicating with patients about tests/results that have come in since her departure. (I'm fine, nothing major, just following up on a sketchy test result from several months ago, and the problem has resolved on its own.)

That call went something like this:

"Ms. Bentley, I'm doctor Mark Jansen with UAMS Family Medical Clinic. Blah, blah, blah. Someone in the clinic will be seeing you at your next follow-up appointment in March. Again, my name is Mark Jansen, J-A-N-S-E-N. If you need anything in the meantime, don't hesitate to call our office."

The fact that he said his name no less than 5 times, and spelled it the last time, perked my ears up a bit. I know a Mark Jansen from when I lived in southern Arkansas for a time. He was actually my physician during that time. He was also the senior partner at the clinic where my mom worked until she entered hospice. (I should add, she had an INCREDIBLE work ethic. She never missed a single day during 5 weeks of radiation and 6 months of chemo therapy. She would go in early and stay late to make up her hours.)

So, me and my perky ears started processing everything that just happened. I do a quick doctor search on the UAMS website which yielded zero results. I turn to my friend google, and find an article mentioning a Dr. Mark Jansen joining the staff/faculty at UAMS. He was in private practice in Arkadelphis for 30 years prior to coming here. I shoot him an email.

"Dr. Jansen, you just called me about an U/S I had yesterday. Are you the same Mark Jansen that was at Arkadelphia Medical Clinic? I'm Terri's daughter. sheri"

His response came back about an hour later. "Yes! The same one. I LOVED!!!! your mother. She was so gracious in all situations. I was just thinking about her the other day. I recently moved to Little Rock to take care of my 88 y/o mother in poor health (you understand) and am working at UAMS 60% teaching and 40% administration. Small state, huh? Mark"

I will admit, that after the week I've had, and the fact that my mother has been on my mind pretty much constantly since my last blog, that connection made me a little teary. Of all the doctors on this enourmous campus, 17-20 that work at FMC, not counting residents and fellows, he pulled my chart from a stack that needed follow-up attention. I think in some way, it was a sign that my mother is still very much looking out for me. Believe what you will, but I choose to believe she's still very much here.

Happy day before Friday, y'all.

~s

No comments: